State Service Commissions
State service commissions were created in the National and Community Service Trust Act as amended in 1993. State service commissions are the state partners of the federal agency, the Corporation for National and Community Service. State service commission administer AmeriCorps State, Volunteer Generation Fund and volunteer programs to address critical community needs and engage citizens in service.
About State Service Commissions
- Are governor appointed public agencies or private nonprofit organizations, made up of more than 1,200 private citizens, leading the nation's philanthropic and service movement.
- Serve at the state level in re-granting more than a quarter of a billion dollars from federal national service funds in addition to the more than $100 million annually from local sources to support citizen service and volunteerism in America.
- Make it possible for millions of Americans to serve through AmeriCorps, Volunteer Generation Fund, AmeriCorps VISTA, Retired Senior Volunteer Programs, Foster Grandparents Programs, and Senior Companions and local volunteer programs.
- Make a difference to America by supporting other community service agencies that depend on volunteers to meet community needs.
- Make a difference in local communities by;
- recognize volunteers through volunteer awards programs
- increasing literacy in the community through before and after school tutoring and mentoring programs
- increasing environmental education and awareness through weekend service activities
- promote volunteering and provide training to nonprofits on volunteer management
- aiding those in need of adequate housing through constructing and repairing homes
- mentoring youth in detention programs, foster children, and teen mothers
- helping to prevent family violence by assisting victims of domestic abuse and sexual assault, through Victims Court Advocate programs
- rebuilding neighborhoods by participating in relief activities after a natural disaster
- helping save a life through suicide prevention and crisis intervention services